Sunday, March 20, 2011

Homemade Chocolate Truffle Cake

Confession Time

Friday I posted on Facebook "Mmmmm.... Homemade Chocolate Truffle Cake!" Well, at the time that I posted that, it was in the oven baking away. I have made the cake before, and it turned out so so great, that I thought it would turn out just as wonderful this time..... Well, according to the directions, I let the cake cool after it had baked, and refrigerated it before trying to get it out of the pan. Well, I am so so sad to report that this is what my beloved "Homemade Chocolate Truffle Cake looked like when it was "depanned". :( (You can see from the magazine picture from womansday.com what the actual cake should look like. They are polar opposites.)

But I wasn't going to let that get me down. I figured a number of things may have happened. I may not have used enough non-stick spray, or it was under cooked, or the batter wasn't mixed good enough. So I saddled up, and tried again. This is what the second cake looked like after "depanning" and decorating. Not bad!

So, here is the recipe for any of you that would like to tackle it for yourself.

I'm sorry, and you're welcome. :)


Chocolate Truffle Cake

Serves:18 Total time:55 min plus 3 hours chilling

3 cups (18 oz.) semisweet chocolate chips
2 sticks (1 cup) unsalted butter
6 large eggs, at room temp.
(Yes, it is extremely healthy for you, and yes, that's it for ingredients.)

1. Heat oven to 425. Coat an 8x3 inch round cake pan with nonstick spray. Line bottom with wax paper; stray paper. Have a larger roasting pan ready.
2. Melt chips and butter together; stir until well blended.
3. Beat eggs in a large bowl with mixer on high for 7 minutes, or until tripled and soft peaks form. Fold in chocolate mixture until blended. Pour into cake pan.
4. Place large pan in oven; place cake pan inside. Pour boiling water into roasting pan to come halfway up sides of cake pan. Cover cake pan loosely with foil; bake 40 min. (Cake looks soft but sets when cold.) (I baked the second one a little longer)
5. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate 3 hours, or until firm. Invert on serving platter; shake down sharply to release cake. Peel wax paper off.
6. If desired, lay five 3/4 inch wide strips of paper 3/4 inch apart on cake. Sift cocoa between strips; carefully lift paper. Repeat in opposite direction, this time sifting on confectioners' sugar.

It is melt-in-your-mouth, one-more-bite-please, so-rich-and-chocolaty, delicious. Yes, it is that good. :) We ate it with a little cool whip on top. Even better.


The other day I also mentioned I made a triple batch of blueberry muffins. This is my yield: 20 jumbo muffins, 12 regular muffins, and 24 mini muffins. Whoa! It looks like there are a few mini muffins missing from this picture. Huh, I wonder where they went.....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, the cake looks pretty, but was it tasty? :)

Rochelle said...

Yes, it was very tasty... melt in your mouth.... I failed to say that in my post. After the recipe, I was going to say, "I'm sorry, and your welcome" ;) By the way, I made the Mug Brownie last Monday, and I'm going to make that Cinnamon SugarPull-Apart Bread, hopefully this week. I forgive you, and thank-you. ;)

Staaty's Spot said...

So yeah... still more ways that I will never be the wife and mother that you are rochelle!! Love you and miss you!!! :)